BNW Writer's Block

WaZoBia @ BNW

Biafra Net

Igbo Net

Africa World and BNW Africa 

Submit Article for Publication

BiafraNigeria Button

BiafraNigeria Button

BNW : Biafra Nigeria World Message Board: the Voice of a New Generation Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
My Profile | Directory Login | Search | FAQ | Forum Home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» BNW : Biafra Nigeria World Message Board: the Voice of a New Generation » BNW News, Current Events, and Politics Forums » The Great Forum » Guardian's Opinion Poll Fraud

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guardian's Opinion Poll Fraud
CSE
Senior Advocate
Advocate # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ahead April Elections, Obasanjo Rates High

Guardian Opinion Poll

The Guardian Opinion Poll (GOP), a scientific socio-political research initiative of Guardian Newspapers Limited, designed to gauge the pulse of the citizenry on issues of national interest on a regular basis, continued with its tracking (structural) Poll, whose maiden and second editions were published on November 24, 2002 and February 9, 2003, respectively.
The current survey, like the two earlier editions, is aim at determining the awareness of, and the preference rating of the current 30 political parties as against the six earlier registered.

I set out to do a systematic review of the Guardian poll. I didn’t see the full questionnaire. So, I moved on to looking at who they asked. A few minutes later, it struck me that Guardian did not do its home work. According to Guardian, 1850 respondents from 36 state capitals and the federal capital were chosen.
If they selected equal numbers of respondents from each state and FCT, it works out that 50 respondents were selected from every state and the FCT.

Of the 1850 chosen from state capitals only, 79.7% are male; 20.3% are female.
Of the 1850, 581 or 31.4% are civil servants, a further 22.1% are students, 13% were professionals, 1.5% were farmers/fishermen or approximately 28 farmers/fishermen. If 28 farmers/fishermen came from 28 states, it means that in at least eight states, farmers and fishermen were not represented at all.

100% of the registered voters surely do not live in state capitals. Is it the case that males outnumber females by 4 to 1 in the electoral register? Do students, civil servants and ‘professionals’ make up more than two thirds of registered voters?

Without going further, it is obvious that the Guardian poll is anything but scientific. The sample should be a reflection of the electoral register. The selection bias is such that Guardian should not have published it all. It is a useless exercise that proves nothing. Unfortunately, Guardian portrayed this charade as ‘a scientific socio-political research initiative’. Nothing could be further from the truth. To lend credibility to this nonsense, Guardian lists its consultants and coordinators as :
The Co-ordinators: Dr. Jide Oluwajuyitan, Mr. Henry Onifade, Mr. Andrew Yacim and Mr. Gani Odusanya. Consultants: Dr. Adidi Uyo and Professor Adigun Agbaje.

These supposedly learned people should explain to us how they transformed a very small sample of non representative population into a ground breaking tool for predicting election 2003.
What a shame!

chiboy
Avocat Supérieur
Advocate # 15

Advocate Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chiboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CSE

The Yoruba Guardian is really in a desperate propanganda over drive. The whole idea is to influence the thinking of the unsuspecting reader into accepting an Aremu fraudulent victory down the line. The moment I saw the so called poll Aluko came to mind, have you seen what that guy does with statistics?

Be rest assured the Northerners are not reading that crap, Daily Trust and Gamji present their own view of life and politics in BiafraNigeria, which leaves you asking who is the ultimate victim of this intellectual fraud ? Yep, you guessed right, the "Ibo" one Nigeriana's and some gullible minorities who believe the Guardian is a national paper.

Look at the names of those involved in the so called scientific study, could they not have even tried to appear representative ? I guess we would soon be told about their educational prowess.

Posts: 1534 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CSE
Senior Advocate
Advocate # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chiboy,
First, they make it sound like nuclear science. They regurgitate all the bizarre sounding terminology, apply them incorrectly and unleash on the long-suffering people of the failed state.
quote:
A total of 1,850 respondents were randomly selected and interviewed using Equal Probability and Selection Method (EPSEM) and multistage sampling method. Fifty interviews were also conducted in Abuja.
What do they understand by random selection? How was this carried out? What were they hoping to achieve? And having achieved an obviously unrepresentative sample, why did they just prod on? What did their professor consultants tell them when they discussed the most unreasonable inclusion criteria for this hopelessly flawed exercise?

And guess who is blissfully quoting the Guardian Poll? Aluko on Gamji!

chiboy
Avocat Supérieur
Advocate # 15

Advocate Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chiboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CSE

Maybe I spoke too soon, that poll had Aluko written all over it. I am sure he just conjured up those figures in his basement and had Laolu forward it to Abati for immediate publication. What a pathetic bunch.

Posts: 1534 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amadi O.
Senior Advocate
Advocate # 335

Advocate Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amadi O.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This "scientific" poll highlights once again the lowered scholarship standards in Yorubaland, the mediocrity that runs rampant in the elite circles and the crude attempts to elevate naked propaganda to the level of information that can form the bases of public policy in the administration of the failed state. Take as an example the maps produced since the war. Among the biggest BiafraNigerian cities included are Owo, Shagamu and Oshogbo; no mention of Onitsha, Enugu, Igwu Ocha (PH), Aba or Calabar. And yet this information is part of official profile of BiafraNigeria and is used for planning purposes. Any wonder why economic indicators in nigeria are always negetive and worsening.

This development is not new however; it dates back to the sixties when Biafra was displaced in the public service and Yoruba know-how became the bases for the management of the commons, which resulted in the ascendancy of nepotism, tribalism and incompetence in the administration of the state. Ever wonder why it's hard to find an entity run by the Yoruba/Hausa - from the Abuja government to the Central Bank to NEPA - that has improved its management performance over time?

In any case, the "scientific" report has further dumbed down empirical knowledge in BiafraNigeria. By publishing it, the Yoruba propaganda machine has reached a new low in its attempts to manipulate the BiafraNigerian public to accept the impending re-imposition of the baffoon, Olusegun Obasanjo, to head that decaying piece of joke called nigeria - a failed state that embodies the true nature of Yoruba/Hausa life and culture, and their inability to raise the bar on public administration beyond basic crudity.

It is long known that the Lagos/Ibadan press deals with raw, unsophisticated propaganda as it tries to control opinion, but the Yoruba elite is a master of "book" learning. It is ever eager to impress anyone that cares with the regurgitation of crammed knowledge that it cannot adapt to real,local contexts. So, in this report/"scientific" poll, we have high sounding words reminiscent of credible scholarship/scientific study, but scratch the surface and you find a body of rigged data cooked up to leverage a renegade political agenda that aims to impose Yoruba tribalism and the leadership of the incompetent and the incapable on BiafraNigeria.

[ March 18, 2003, 03:23 AM: Message edited by: Amadi O. ]

Posts: 646 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ijeoma
Advocate
Advocate # 262

Advocate Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ijeoma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometime ago, I was doing research on African political systems. I was particularly interested in the utility of straw polls as a guage of electoral outcomes in African elections. It is a shame that for selfish and ethnic reasons, Guardian has cast a huge doubt on the credibility of that process. A big shame!!!

[ March 31, 2003, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: Ijeoma ]

Posts: 16 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
bababoyz
Senior Advocate
Advocate # 118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bababoyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This poll will be vindicated today.

CSE
Senior Advocate
Advocate # 81

Bababoyz,
We are talking about a seriously flawed poll. Not about babawola prophesy. Even Guardian claims its poll to be scientific. Seriously, is there a scientific basis to your assertion?

Damian
Avocat Supérieur
Advocate # 14

Advocate Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Damian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Yoruba Guardian is at it again. The front page of the Yoruba Guardian has the following poll running. This is either a poorly disguised display of ethnic chauvinism, or it is yet another display of Abatiesque infantilism.
quote:
 -
How else are we to appreciate that a highly placed officer of the Yoruba Guardian is quite able to distinguish between "Yoruba" and "Afenifere," but unable to tell the difference between "Ndigbo" or Arewa, and what s/he calls "Pan Socio-Cultural groups?"

Jude Olisa
Senior Advocate
Advocate # 122

Advocate Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jude Olisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There can be no mistaking the triumphalism that has overtaken Yoruba media since their son defrauded the people in the elections. But, this is BiafraNigeria we are talking about. At the end of the war between the North and the west, we shall see who would really be triumpant. There is something dubious about the manner in which AD surrendered the Southwest to PDP. Once I put my finger on exactly what it is, I will post it here. We all know that Yoruba people are quick to murder their fellow Yoruba when they believe that elections have been rigged in Yorubaland. Let us not rush to misinterepret an Obasanjo-Afenifere conspiracy to rig the elections as a case of a prodigal son who outsmarted his fatherland. The Yoruba do not suffer anti-Yoruba treachery well when the traitor is a Yoruba. But the Yoruba have embraced the results of this fraud.

[ May 07, 2003, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Jude Olisa ]

UKAOBASI
Avocat Supérieur
Advocate # 201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKAOBASI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jude Olisa:
There can be no mistaking the triumphalism that has overtaken Yoruba media since their son defrauded the people in the elections....

There is something dubious about the manner in which AD surrendered the Southwest to PDP. Once I put my finger on exactly what it is, I will post it here....

Absolutely right Jude,

On another thread I posted these remarks:

quote:
As for AD, Afenifere now smiling all the way to the bank is where the decisions are made, and despite the losses occassioned by the absence of their master strategist Ige, Adesanya already seems to be hatching the "plot to end all plots" where with the sympathy garnered for the seeming AD demise, Afenifere will move to consolidate ownership of PDP in-toto, thus reflecting a convergence of Obasanjo ambitions and Adesanyas aspirations for Yoruba,being to aquire and surpass the power and hegemony (once wielded by Hausa) by appearing to posess mass acceptance and credibility to all Nigerians and especially in the prescence of the World powers.(in this regard AD as a means to an end can be said to be analogous to an expendable lizards tail)
This grab for the limelight to cement a sense of greater legitimacy (THAN THE HAUSA/FULANI HEGEMONY OR THE ONCE VAUNTED IGBO EVER POSSESSED), through the appearance of cross sectional appeal and world acceptance is what is boldly emblazoned on this charade of a poll displayed by the Guardian, hence the intentional ability to ditinguish between "Yoruba" and "Afenifere" while being unable to tell the difference between "NdIgbo" or Arewa and what s/he (abati) calls "Pan Socio-Cultural Groups" as Damian pointed out

Furthermore I had opined:

quote:
If I know Buhari well, he will exterminate OPC with a vengeance, furthermore, since it is "winner take all" he will demote or remove all the military officers of Yoruba or southern origin in positions of strategic power and promptly replace them with Hausa, and Tiv, and maybe some very, very, very token Igbo. Ditto for ministerial and civil service positions. Not to talk of key ministeries which will be returned from the Atlantic ocean where they belong, to Sokoto.
In light of all the above, the Yoruba had a lot riding on this and were more than willing to discard AD for the time being to "consolidate". But the day is young, let us wait and see what they will do with "consolidation", and if the Hausa/Fulani will continue to back Atiku in his participation at their exclusion.

For us the chore remains to brace up and keep our painstaking plans going, things have a way of turning around.

Posts: 1184 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tijani
Senior Advocate
Advocate # 290

Advocate Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tijani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When will all the whinning stop for a change of subject on Yoruba bashing and Obasanjo's presidency? Clearly the election is over and I think it's time for us to move on.

Posts: 390 | From: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | BNW: Biafra Nigeria World | Privacy Statement

Copyright © 2001 - present, BNW: Biafra Nigeria World. All rights reserved.